JAMAICA 2018 MEN’S NATIONAL LACROSSE TEAM
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE JAMAICAN NATIONAL LACROSSE TEAMS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- To represent Jamaica, in all its diversity. “Out of many, one people”;
- To represent Jamaica in international tournaments, demonstrating qualities such as a commitment, sportsmanship, fair play, and respect for fellow players, coaches, officials, administrators, and spectators;
- To increase the quantity of domestic players participating in Jamaican national team events, including Camps, Tryouts, National Development Teams and the Jamaican national teams themselves and their participation in major tournaments;
- To increase the quality of domestic players participating in the full range of Jamaican national team events by providing coaching, instruction, support, training, encouragement, and opportunity for domestic players to become better players, as provided by coaches, support staff and teammates;
- To contribute to an increase in the number of lacrosse players in Jamaica by generating greater awareness of and publicity for the sport among the Jamaican public;
- To contribute to an increase in the number of domestic lacrosse coaches inJamaica by creating opportunities for domestic coaches to be part of the staff of the various Jamaican national teams;
- To contribute to an increase in the number of domestic lacrosse officials by identifying opportunities for individuals to get involved in officiating in conjunction with participation by the Jamaican national teams in various tournaments and other events;
To contribute to an increase in the membership of Jamaica Lacrosse, to help provide support for the Jamaican national teams and for the development and growth of lacrosse in Jamaica.
PLAYER ELIGIBILITY RULES
The Jamaica Lacrosse Association (JLA) is fully compliant with the player eligibility rules as defined by the Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL). To be eligible to play for the Jamaican national lacrosse team, players must:
- Be a member of Jamaica Lacrosse – All players must be members ofJamaica Lacrosse, the national governing body for the sport of lacrosse in Jamaica, in order to participate in any and all national team-related events, including tryouts, training camps, specific games featuring the Jamaican national team and major tournaments. The online member registration form is available on the Jamaica Lacrosse website. An individual is not considered a fully registered member unless they have also paid the requisite membership fee. Membership of Jamaica Lacrosse is renewable annually.
- Register and participate in a Jamaica Lacrosse tryout, including a final tryout/training camp in Jamaica or the USA– details of all such events and the registration process are posted on theJamaica Lacrosse website and through the various Jamaica Lacrosse social media outlets.
- Participate in fundraising and other activities to support the development of lacrosse in Jamaica and the Jamaican national teams.
- Meet the FIL player eligibility requirements as listed below.
You may be eligible to represent Jamaica in the 2018 World Lacrosse Championships in Israel if you meet any one of the following criteria:
- Citizenship: If you are Jamaican Citizen and hold a Jamaican passport.
- Parents: If one or both birth parents, adoptive parents or step-parents born in Jamaica.
- Grandparents: If one or more birth or adoptive grandparents are born in Jamaican. Step-Grandparents are not acceptable.
- Marriage: Partner/spouse is a Jamaican passport-holder, with the qualification that the partner/spouse, and husband, must be resident in the country being represented.
- Residence: Minimum of a two-year (2) residency period in the playing country within the last five (5) years. This does not necessarily have to be a continuous period but a cumulative total period of two (2) years over the previous five (5) years.
Please note, eligibility criteria are subject to change.
The lower limit age that applies to all World Championships and FIL sanctioned events is 16 years of age (men) and 15 years of age (women) as of the day prior to the championship event.
DUAL PASSPORT HOLDERS
ELIGIBILITY RELATING TO DUAL PASSPORT HOLDERS:
Any competitor who is a national of two or more countries at the same time and holding passports of these countries may represent either one of them as he /she may elect. However, after having represented one country in a recognized (by the Federation of International Lacrosse) event, he /she may not represent another country unless he/she meets other eligibility conditions set out in the bye-laws which include a three-year period between playing for one country and playing for another country.
The FIL player eligibility rules set-out further conditions regarding age considerations and flexibility for emerging nations, including special dispensations at U19 level. Further information is available on the FIL website.
JAMAICAN NATIONAL LACROSSE TEAM COMPOSITION POLICY
In addition to the player eligibility rules set-out by the FIL, which all Jamaican national teams are compliant with, Jamaica Lacrosse has also established a policy relating to the composition of each Jamaican national team. The primary objective of this policy is to link each Jamaican national team with the development of lacrosse in Jamaica. The following requirements apply regarding eligibility for, and composition of, any and all Jamaican national teams:
In considering individual players for selection to any and all Jamaican national lacrosse teams, the Player Selection Panel will consider the following: